Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Windows 2008 Boot issue after extending the disk on vSphere 5

Recently I came across a strange issue on my Lab where I assigned limited size Thick Provisioned VMDK to a W2K8 R2 VM. Just the OS drive.

It was ran out of space and I had to extend the VMDK so did it from the VS Client.

On next reboot I saw that Windows is not booting properly and giving me an error


=============================
File: \Windows\system32\winload.exe


Status: 0xc000000e
=============================

Now I know I still have to extend the partition within the Guest OS but that was the next part I was supposed to do but not even getting that far.

Searching the error at MS site, I found an article to fix the boot sector.

  • To do that boot the VM with the Windows OS boot disk
  • Select "Repair your computer"
  • Open the command prompt, and run:

    bootrec.exe /rebuildbcd
    bootrec.exe /fixmbr

    (Select Yes for any prompts)
  • For changes to take effect, reboot the virtual machine   


VM is up and running after fixing the boot sector so no issue there, but now looking further into the rebuildbcd issue it looks like there is some disk signaturing issue going on but was not able to track it down so still doing further deep dive in to it.

Share this please!!


No comments:

Post a Comment